Mobile >Food & Dining > Mc Donald's
5601 Old Shell Rd, Mobile, AL | Directions 3660830.689380 -88.172206
Neighborhoods: Country Club
Quite possibly the worst in Mobile. – * First off, a FYI: there is NO play place. This is designed with university students in mind and despite what it says above (at the time of this writing), it is NOT kid friendly. I have put in a request to edit that out.
* The quality of any place I ever visit rests (almost entirely) on the state of the bathroom. A nice lunch, dinner or whatever can be completely ruined by a visit to a filthy and disgusting bathroom. So for this McD's, it's a fail. The bathrooms are filthy half of the time, the doors have a HUGE gap in them so everyone can peek at you while you go and you have to set your purse on their nasty floor (if you don't have a good shoulder strap) because there is no hook. All together now: YUCK!
* Moving on to the employees. I will say that all of them are very nice, even if some are weird or clueless. I like (most) of the people who work there, but management seems a bit too rough. One day it was pouring down rain and she was screaming at all them tell them to get it together because she knew they didn't want to take bags out to the cars. I looked carefully at all their faces and none seemed happy. One guy, who I thought was rather heroic, said, "I'll go out there!" lol! Anything, I suppose, so long as they could slow down to make sure the orders were right. Anyway, the point is that management doesn't appear to really care. They will always have a lot of patrons because University of South Alabama is right next door and there is little choice of another place like McD's (there are fast food restaurants on campus, but they don't have a dollar menu like McD's).
* Now about those weird employees... The best example is how one employee was in the bathroom talking on her cell - with the freaking speaker phone on - and it was a man! Just what I needed, some strange man hearing me do my business!!! I couldn't believe it. I've heard people talking on the phone while on the toilet, which is weird enough, but on a speaker phone?! The guy didn't seem surprised at all to hear everyone in the bathroom going and flushing toilets. I could hear him as clear as a bell!
* And about those clueless employees... Sometimes one doesn't even know their own menu items. For example, I went to have lunch with my son who goes to college nearby. He wanted a 2-McRib combo meal. When I heard the total, I realized she was charging me for two McRib combo meals... meaning plural. This was not right. A HUGE sign hanging on the window said a 2-McRib combo meal (all in one meal) was half that price. I told her this is a 2-McRib meal, not 2 McRib mealsssss. Looking at her face you could clearly see that this did not compute. She even went so far as to say that there is no such menu item. I pointed to the sign, which clearly said it does exist. Her face was still blank and she denied it. Finally I asked her to get a manager who came and seemed surprised that the girl had no idea what we were talking about. Maybe she was new, but what new girl is so sure about a menu that she says there is no such menu item???
* About the food; let me just say that of all the times I've gone there, I've yet to get something hot and fresh. Most of the time, it's very stale. One time the bread on my chicken sandwich was so stale that I could barely bit into it. After hearing the manager that rainy day, I have come to believe that this is probably because they are forced to make a bunch in advance to as to avoid a wait. I guess it boils down to if you want it really fast so you can get to class on time, or really fresh where you may have to wait. It's sort of a catch-22.
* About the comfort of the place. I don't know who designed those seats, but it's clear that they were designed so that you'll never EVER want to go back there again. Most have no backs on them and the few that do have backs have absolutely no cushioning on it whatsoever. Other McDonald's restaurants have cushioning, so why did this one elect not to?
* The Wifi stinks, even if it is free.
Burgers, sandwiches, Happy Meals and all things fried and grilled draw families and fans to the world-famous Golden Arches. – In Short
The intoxicating smell of golden fries cooked to crispy perfection and succulent burgers sizzling on the grill permeates the space, while a lively chatting and munching crowd maintains a laidback vibe at this famous fast food haunt. Hungry patrons of all ages and walks of life order classic favorites like the Big Mac, Chicken McNuggets, and the Filet-O-Fish sandwich. As for breakfast (it is the most important meal of the day, after all), this drive-thru king offers both sweet and savory morning meals like the Egg McMuffin and Hotcakes, as well as flavored iced coffees for a much needed java jolt.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Mc Donald's on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.